Yesterday, July 13, Jane Doe was unexpectedly transferred to CT Juvenile Training School, a locked facility for boys. The transfer was done in secret, without informing her lawyers. DCF is claiming that she is currently being held there in solitary confinement. This means that at best, our sister is in solitary AGAIN, this time in a facility for delinquent males who have been charged with crimes. At worst, she is in general population with those same males.
Effective immediately, we are asking people to call and tweet at CT Governor Dannel Malloy and CT DCF with the following demands:
1. Release Jane Doe from the CT Juvenile Training School into an appropriate environment approved by her therapist. CJTS is a facility for males on parole status – Jane is neither male nor on parole! Release her immediately into a loving foster / adoptive home!
2. Fire DCF Commissioner Joette Katz now. This person has done enough damage to Jane Doe and who knows how many other youth in her “care”. She is clearly on a sick vendetta against Jane, using Jane’s gender identity to torture her further.
3. CT legislature must repeal CT statute 17a-12, which allows DCF to imprison children and place them in inappropriate, traumatizing environments
4. Launch an independent investigation into CT DCF to uncover ALL the abuses permitted and perpetrated against children in their care.
Call Malloy: 860-566-4840
Call DCF (demand Jane’s immediate release): 860-550-6300
Tweet: @CTDCF and @GovMalloyOffice. Use #JusticeForJane hashtag.
- I’m calling to express my disgust that the abuse of Jane Doe, the 16-year-old transgender victim of trafficking, is continuing at the hands of DCF Commissioner Joette Katz. I am demanding that Jane be immediately released from the CT Juvenile Training School boys’ facility, be given the therapy she deserves and be allowed to be fostered or adopted into a loving home.
- It is clear that a commissioner who goes on such a sick vendetta against an abused child, lies about the child’s treatment and demonizes her in order to preserve her own reputation is unfit to hold her highly compensated position. No child should suffer like Jane Doe is. I am demanding that Commissioner Katz be fired now and that her position be filled by someone who knows how to deal with trauma and is not prejudiced against trans* youth.
- CT statute 17a-12, which allows DCF to imprison children and which has been the legal root of Jane’s suffering, must be repealed by CT legislature immediately.
- Finally, these events and the words of other children in the care of DCF show that Jane is not a unique case. I am demanding that an independent investigation be launched into CT DCF’s treatment of children. Whatever Katz’s preferences may be, it is not OK for a department whose agents traffic and rape children to investigate itself. The safety of these children is at stake and an independent investigation is imperative.
Please stay tuned for announcements of on-the-ground protests, rallies and marches to support Jane. Spread this information far and wide!